- 2mm hex key
- Phillips #1 driver
- Painter’s tape (or similar tape that will not leave residue on the printer)
Markforged products contain high voltage and other hazards. Do not remove any panels or protective guards without appropriate technical training and experience necessary to minimize the risks to yourself and others. If you do not feel comfortable accessing service areas of your Markforged product, please contact your Reseller.
Note: Take care not to discard any hardware you remove during this procedure, as you will need it during the reinstallation.
- Unload all print material from the printer and remove the print bed. For more information, see Unload Plastic and Unload Fiber, if applicable.
- Power off and unplug the printer.
- Remove and set aside the Wi-Fi antenna / Ethernet cable.
- Disconnect the feed tube from the plastic extruder. Remove it from the printer and set it aside.
- Remove and set aside the print bed and any fiber spools.
- Tape the lid and visor of the printer closed to prevent them from accidentally opening.
- Carefully turn the printer upside down so that the bottom faces up and the back plate faces toward you.
- Use the Phillips screwdriver to remove the ten screws that hold the bottom panel in place.
- Remove the bottom plate from the printer and set it aside.
- The touchscreen and BeagleBone are located at the center of the front face of the printer, furthest away from you. The motherboard is located near the rear face of the printer, closest to you.
Note: The metal cover over the BeagleBone may be black, silver, or orange; the color has no bearing on these instructions.
- Disconnect the four black cables from the BeagleBone.
- Disconnect the grey cable from the motherboard rather than from the BeagleBone.
- Use the 2mm hex key to remove the four black screws securing the BeagleBone/touchscreen assembly to the printer casing and set them aside.
Note: Each of these screws sits upon a plastic spacer; two of these spacers sit between the BeagleBone cover and the touchscreen. Ensure that you set these aside to be reinstalled later.
- Carefully remove the BeagleBone/touchscreen assembly from your printer.
Note: All four screws have additional spacers between the touchscreen and the printer casing. Ensure that you set these aside to be reinstalled later.
- Pull the BeagleBone case away from the prongs that secure it to the touchscreen. If necessary, gently rock the BeagleBone from left to right to loosen it.
- Connect the replacement touchscreen to the BeagleBone, using the markings on the touchscreen board to properly align the connectors. Apply firm, even pressure when inserting the pins.
- Align four white spacers with the holes around the touchscreen opening in the printer casing.
- Keeping the grey cable out of the way, carefully seat the replacement touchscreen into its opening, aligning the holes on the board with the spacers and the holes in the printer casing.
Note: Ensure that the USB port on the BeagleBone faces toward the USB hub.
- Place two spacers directly on the exposed corners of the board and insert the other two between the touchscreen board and the tabs of the BeagleBone cover.
- Use the 2mm hex key to install two screws into the holes in the corners of the touchscreen that are not covered by the tabs of the metal BeagleBone cover. Ensure that the screws pass through the spacers.
Note: To avoid damaging the touchscreen, do not over-tighten the screws. Hand-tighten only until the screws are snug against the touchscreen board.
- Use the 2mm hex key to install the two black screws that connect the BeagleBone cover to the touchscreen assembly. Ensure that the screws pass through the spacers.
Note: To avoid damaging the touchscreen, do not over-tighten the screws. Hand-tighten only until the screws are snug against the metal tabs.
- Re-attach all five cables.
- Replace the bottom panel and securely fasten it using the ten Phillips screws you removed earlier.
- Carefully turn the printer upright.
- Remove and discard the tape holding the lid and visor shut.
- Reinstall the print bed.
- Reinstall the Wi-Fi antenna / Ethernet cable.
- Reconnect the plastic feed tube to the plastic extruder.
- Plug in and power on the printer. Confirm that the BeagleBone/touchscreen assembly is working properly.
- Reload materials. For more information, see Load Plastic and Load Fiber.