- 2.5mm hex key
- 2mm hex key
- Painter’s tape (or similar tape that will not leave residue)
- Synthetic grease
- Disposable gloves (recommended)
Markforged products contain high voltage and other hazards. Do not remove any panels or protective guards without appropriate technical training and experience necessary to minimize the risks to yourself and others. If you do not feel comfortable accessing service areas of your Markforged product, please contact your Reseller.
Z-Axis Lead Screw Replacement
- Unload any print material that is currently loaded into the printer. For more information, see Unload Plastic and Unload Fiber, if applicable.
- Power off and unplug the printer.
- Remove and set aside the Wi-Fi antenna / Ethernet cable.
- Disconnect the feed tube from the plastic extruder. Remove it from the printer and set it aside.
- Remove and set aside the print bed and any fiber spools.
- Tape the lid of the printer closed to prevent it from accidentally opening.
- Perform a two-person lift to remove the printer from the lower cabinet. Place the printer on its back plate on a flat, stable surface such that the clear plastic visor faces upward.
- Using a 2mm hex key, remove the 12 screws from the bottom plate of the printer. Set the screws and the bottom plate aside.
- Disconnect the 4-wire connector from the Z-axis stepper motor on the underside of the printer.
Note: You may need to use pliers to remove the connector. Be careful not to sever the wires.
- Using the 2.5mm hex key, remove and set aside the four bolts in the bottom of the printer's interior.
- Turn the lead screw counterclockwise to remove it from the print stage, then pull the stepper motor and lead screw out of the bottom of the printer.
Note: You may want to wear disposable gloves when handling the lead screw, as it is coated in grease.
- Feed the new lead screw assembly through the opening in the bottom of the printer and tighten it until the stepper motor rests against the printer chassis.
- Reattach the 4-wire connector to the port on the side of the Z-axis stepper motor.
- Using a 2.5mm hex key, replace the four screws in the bottom of the interior of the printer.
- Replace the bottom plate such that the grate is aligned with the fan, then use the 2mm hex key to secure the 12 screws.
- Perform a two-person lift to turn the printer upright and replace it on top of the lower cabinet.
- Remove and discard the tape holding the lid shut.
- Reinstall the print bed, plastic feed tube, and Wi-Fi antenna / Ethernet cable.
- Reload material before attempting to print. To ensure that your printer is ready to print, see Recalibrate the Z-Axis, below.
Recalibrate the Z-Axis
- Spread synthetic grease on the lead screw.
- Manually move the print stage up and down to disperse the grease. Ensure that the print stage can move the entire travel span of the Z-axis.
- Start the Laser Bed Level utility. For more information, see Level the Print Bed.
- If the print bed is too close or too far from the print head to accurately level the print bed, run the Z-Offset utility (Menu > Bed Level > Adjust Z-Offset).
- Run the Bed Level Test Print, and confirm that the print bed is leveled correctly.