- 2.5mm hex key
Your printer’s motion system operates via two stepper motors, one in each of the two leftmost corners of the gantry. Perform the procedure below to replace one of these motors.
Replacing a stepper motor is a process that requires small movements and finesse. Be careful not to break any wires or other components in the printer during this process.
Remove the XY Stepper Motor
Note: Take care not to discard any hardware you remove during this procedure, as you will need it during the reinstallation.
- Power off your printer.
- Using the 2.5mm hex key, remove the four screws from the underside of the printer case shelf that connect it to the stepper motor, and carefully set them aside.
- Lift the stepper motor up from the metal shim on which it sits.
- Remove the belt from around the pulley of the stepper motor.
- Disconnect the 4-wire connector that attaches to the stepper motor.
Note: You may need to use pliers to remove the 4-wire connector. Be careful not to let the base of the extruder sever the wires.
- Remove the XY stepper motor from your printer.
Replace the XY Stepper Motor
- Secure the belt around the pulley of the new XY stepper motor. Ensure that the belt is not twisted along the rail and that the teeth of the belt mesh with the teeth on the pulley.
- Attach the 4-wire connector to the port on the front of the XY stepper motor.
- Place the new XY stepper motor on the metal shim so that the shim and motor are aligned with the screw holes in the printer case shelf.
- Using the 2.5mm hex key, thread the four screws into the bottom of the printer case shelf and up into the XY stepper motor.
- Tighten each screw until it is completely secure.
- Check the tension of the belt attached to the motor and adjust it if necessary. For more information about adjusting the belt tension, see Adjust Belt Tension.