- Remove the Tensioner and Fixed Idler
- Replace the Tensioner and Fixed Idler
- Adjust Belt Tension
- Check for Interferences
- Calibrate Stepper Motor Encoders
- 3mm hex key
- 2.5mm hex key
- Mobile phone equipped with tuner app (or sonic tension meter)
Remove the Tensioner and Fixed Idler
Note: Take care not to discard any hardware you remove during this procedure, as you may need it during the reinstallation.
- Power down your printer.
- Use the 3mm hex key to loosen the set screw on the tensioner, removing all tension from the belt.
- Locate the fixed idler in the back right-hand corner of the machine. Using the 3mm hex key, remove one of the two screws holding it in place.
- To prevent the belt from falling off the pulleys, hold the belt in place while removing the second screw from the fixed idler.
- Slide the belt off of the fixed idler. Reinstall one of the previously removed screws and slip the belt over the screw.
- Repeat steps 3 - 5 for the tensioner. After removing both the tensioner and fixed idler assemblies, the belt should be held in place by the screws alone.
Replace the Tensioner and Fixed Idler
Replace fixed idler (in the back right corner)
- While holding the belt in hand, remove the screw you temporarily installed into the back right corner.
- Slip the belt up and onto the pulley of the replacement fixed idler.
- Install the fixed idler and use the 3mm hex key to secure it in place using two of the previously removed screws.
Replace tensioner (in the front right corner)
- While holding the belt in hand, remove the screw you temporarily installed into the front right corner.
- Slip the belt up and onto the pulley of the replacement tensioner.
- Install the tensioner and secure it in place using the two remaining screws.
Adjust Belt Tension
- Install and open a tuner application, such as the free version of either the Fine Tuner app (for iOS) or the Fine Chromatic Tuner app (for Android), on your mobile device.
Note: In areas with heavy background noise, use a sonic tension meter.
- Manually move the print head to the back left corner of the print chamber to more easily access the belt underneath the Y-rail opposite the print head.
- Place your phone’s microphone close to, but not touching, the belt opposite the print head. Pluck the belt as if it were a guitar string and use the 3mm hex key to adjust the belt tensioner until the tuner reads a frequency of 82Hz–84Hz.
Note: If you are using the Fine Tuner app, you can disregard the lower of the two numbers on the main screen.
For more information about adjusting belt tension, see Adjust Belt Tension.
Check for Interferences
- Move the print head diagonally by hand to isolate the movement of each pulley. The print head should travel without any resistance.
- Observe each pulley’s placement; there should be clearance between the bottom of the pulley and the top plate of the gantry.
- Power on your printer.
Calibrate Stepper Motor Encoders
After replacing your tensioner and fixed idler assembly, it is very important to re-calibrate the stepper motor encoders. To run the calibration utility, select Menu > Utilities > Maintenance > Calibrate Encoders. For more information, see Calibrate Stepper Motor Encoders
Back To Top