- 2mm hex key
- 2.5mm hex key
- Painter’s tape (or similar tape that will not leave residue)
Markforged products contain high voltage and other hazards. Do not remove any panels or protective guards without appropriate technical training and experience necessary to minimize the risks to yourself and others. If you do not feel comfortable accessing service areas of your Markforged product, please contact your Reseller.
Note on terminology
The motherboard is referred to elsewhere in Markforged documentation as the Victoria Board.
Remove the Motherboard
Note: Take care not to discard any hardware you remove during this procedure, as you may need it during the reinstallation.
- Unload and remove all plastic and fiber print material from the printer. For more information, see Unload Plastic and Unload Fiber, if applicable.
- Disconnect the feed tube from the plastic extruder. Remove it from the printer and set it aside.
- Power off your printer and unplug the power supply from the back panel.
- Remove and set aside the Wi-Fi antenna / Ethernet cable.
- Remove and set aside the print bed and any fiber spools.
- Tape the lid and visor of the printer closed to prevent them from accidentally opening.
- Perform a two-person lift to remove the printer from the lower cabinet. Place the printer upside down on a flat, stable surface.
- Using the 2mm hex key, remove the 12 screws that attach the bottom plate to the printer and set them aside.
- Remove the bottom plate from the printer and set it aside.
- Carefully unplug all nine connections from the motherboard.
- Using the 2.5mm hex key, remove the four screws connecting the motherboard to the printer and set them aside.
- Remove the motherboard from your printer.
Replace the Motherboard
- Mount the new motherboard in place.
- Using the 2.5mm hex key, reinstall the four screws that connect the motherboard to the printer.
- Carefully reconnect all nine connections to the board.
Note: The ribbon cable (bottom right in the picture below) connects to a socket on the underside of the motherboard.
- Replace the bottom plate such that the grate is aligned with the fan, then use the 2mm hex key to reinstall the 12 screws.
- Perform a two-person lift to turn the printer upright and replace it on top of the lower cabinet.
- Remove and discard the tape holding the lid and visor shut.
- Reinstall the print bed, plastic feed tube, and Wi-Fi antenna / Ethernet cable.
- Plug the power cord in and power the printer on. Ensure that it boots successfully.
- Run the Firmware Recovery utility (Menu > Utilities > Maintenance > Firmware Recovery).
- Reload materials. For more information, see Load Plastic and Load Fiber.