- #1 Phillips screwdriver
- 2.5mm hex key
- USB drive from accessory kit
- Painter’s tape (or similar tape that will not leave residue on the printer)
Markforged products contain high voltage and other hazards. Do not remove any panels or protective guards without appropriate technical training and experience necessary to minimize the risks to yourself and others. If you do not feel comfortable accessing service areas of your Markforged product, please contact your Reseller.
Note on terminology
The motherboard is referred to elsewhere in Markforged documentation as the Victoria Board.
Remove the Motherboard
Note: Take care not to discard any hardware you remove during this procedure, as you will need it during the reinstallation.
- Unload and remove all print material from the printer. For more information, see Unload Plastic and Unload Fiber, if applicable.
- Remove and set aside the print bed and any fiber spools.
- Power off your printer and unplug the power cord from the back panel.
- Remove and set aside the Wi-Fi antenna / Ethernet cable.
- Disconnect the feed tube from the plastic extruder. Remove it from the printer and set it aside.
- Tape the lid and visor of the printer closed to prevent them from accidentally opening.
- Place the printer upside down on a flat, stable surface.
- Using the #1 Phillips screwdriver, remove the 10 screws that attach the bottom plate to the printer and set them aside.
- Remove the bottom plate from the printer and set it aside.
- Carefully unplug all nine connections from the motherboard.
Note: The ribbon cable (the broad white cable at bottom right in the photo below) connects to a socket on the underside of the motherboard.
- Using the 2.5mm hex key, remove the four screws connecting the motherboard to the printer and set them aside.
- Remove the motherboard from your printer.
Replace the Motherboard
- Mount the new motherboard in place.
- Using the 2.5mm hex key, reinstall the four screws that connect the motherboard to the printer.
- Carefully reconnect all nine connections to the board.
Note: The ribbon cable (bottom right in the photo below) connects to a socket on the underside of the motherboard.
- Replace the bottom plate on the printer.
- Reinstall the ten screws that connect the bottom plate to the printer.
- Turn the printer upright and place it on a flat, stable surface.
- Remove and discard the tape holding the lid and visor shut.
- Reinstall the print bed.
- Reinstall the Wi-Fi antenna / Ethernet cable.
- Reconnect the plastic feed tube to the plastic extruder.
- Plug the power cord in and turn the printer on. Ensure that it boots successfully.
- Navigate to the Firmware Recovery utility (Menu > Utilities > Maintenance > Firmware Recovery) and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Manually reboot your machine to finish the Firmware Recovery utility.
- Reload print material. For more information, see Load Plastic and Load Fiber, if applicable.
- Insert the provided USB drive (see Supplies, above) into your printer.
- Select the menu icon from the dashboard.
- Select the Storage tile from the menu options.
- Select the Print From Storage tile from the menu options.
- Select the file from the USB drive and press Print to update the offsets for the print head.
Note: This print file may require specific materials to be loaded but will not actually print anything.
- Adjust the XY offsets (Menu > Utilities > Print Head Alignment > Fiber Nozzle XY Offsets). For more information, see Adjust the XY Offset.