- Wire cutters
Note that some images in this article feature the A3648 plastic extruder; for more information on different versions of the plastic extruder, see the A1095 and A3648 Plastic Extruders support article.
Note: This support article applies to composite printers running app version 2019-05-24 or later. If your printer's firmware has not yet been updated to this version, begin by applying a firmware update, or see here for more information on the legacy Unload Plastic utility.
- Select the menu icon from the dashboard.
- Select the Materials tile from the menu options.
- Select the Unload Plastic tile to begin the utility.
- Press Next to continue when prompted.
- Push in the black push-to-connect fitting to release the plastic feed tube from the back of the extruder.
- Pull the feed tube from the push-to-connect fitting to expose the plastic material and use a pair of wire cutters to cut the exposed plastic at a 45° angle.
- Open the drybox and wind the cut plastic filament back onto the spool. Tape the loose end of the filament to the spool. Close the drybox.
- Unscrew and remove the Bowden tube from the front (outlet) of the extruder, then press Next to begin expelling the cut filament.
- Take hold of the cut plastic material and help direct it free from the plastic extruder.
- Press Stop on the printer’s touchscreen when the plastic has been completely unloaded from the extruder.
- Direct the plastic filament free of the Bowden tube.
- Reinstall the Bowden tube and feed tube to the plastic extruder, then press Next.
- Press Load Plastic to load a different spool; for more information, see Load Plastic. Otherwise, press Skip.
- If you pressed Skip, select Yes to cool the print head or No to skip cooldown.
- Press Done to exit the routine.