- 2mm hex key
- Phillips #1 screwdriver
- Wire cutters or similar tool
- Small zip tie
- Painter’s tape (or similar tape that will not leave residue)
Markforged products contain high voltage and other hazards. Do not remove any panels or protective guards without appropriate technical training and experience necessary to minimize the risks to yourself and others. If you do not feel comfortable accessing service areas of your Markforged product, please contact your Reseller.
Remove the BeagleBone
Note: Take care not to discard any hardware you remove during this procedure, as you will need it during the reinstallation.
- Completely unload print material. For more information, see Unload Plastic and Unload Fiber, if applicable.
- Power off and unplug the printer.
- Remove and set aside the Wi-Fi antenna / Ethernet cable.
- Remove and set aside the print bed and any fiber spools.
- Disconnect the feed tube from the plastic extruder. Remove it from the printer and set it aside.
- Tape the lid and visor of the printer closed to prevent them from accidentally opening.
- Carefully turn the printer upside down so that the bottom is facing up and the rear of the printer is facing toward you.
- Use the Phillips screwdriver to remove the ten screws that hold the bottom panel in place.
- Remove and set aside the bottom panel.
- The touchscreen and BeagleBone are located at the center of the front face of the printer, furthest away from you. The motherboard is located near the rear face of the printer, closest to you.
Note: The metal cover over the BeagleBone may be black, silver, or orange; the color has no bearing on these instructions.
- Disconnect the four black cables on the left and right sides of the BeagleBone. Do not attempt to disconnect the grey cable from the BeagleBone.
- Use the 2mm hex key to remove the two black screws that secure the BeagleBone cover to the touchscreen assembly.
- Disconnect the 3-wire connector at the end of the grey cable from the motherboard.
- Using wire cutters or a similar tool, cut the black zip ties that hold the wires connecting the motherboard to the BeagleBone.
Note: Be careful not to cut the wires.
- Pull the BeagleBone and aluminum cover straight off the touchscreen assembly. Note the two white spacers that sit under the tabs on either side of the aluminum cover.
- Using the 2mm hex key, remove the four screws attaching the BeagleBone to the aluminum cover, then separate the BeagleBone from the cover.
Replace the BeagleBone
- Attach the new BeagleBone to the aluminum cover with the four screws.
- Align the BeagleBone over the touchscreen assembly and apply firm, even pressure to plug in the new BeagleBone. Take care not to bend the pins.
- Re-attach the 3-wire connector at the end of the grey cable to the motherboard.
- Using a small zip tie, secure the wires connecting the motherboard to the BeagleBone.
- Align the two white spacers with the holes in the touchscreen assembly, then use the 2mm hex key to install the two screws that secure the aluminum cover to the printer casing.
- Plug the four black cables back into the BeagleBone.
- Replace the bottom panel and securely fasten it using the ten Phillips screws you removed earlier.
- Carefully turn the printer upright.
- Remove and discard the tape holding the lid and visor shut.
- Reinstall the print bed.
- Reinstall the Wi-Fi antenna / Ethernet cable.
- Reconnect the plastic feed tube to the plastic extruder.
- Plug in and power on your printer. Confirm that the BeagleBone/touchscreen assembly is working properly.
- Update your printer’s firmware. For more information, see Update Firmware.
- Reload material. For more information, see Load Plastic and Load Fiber.