- 2mm hex key
- Wire cutters or similar tool
- Small zip tie
- Painter’s tape (or similar tape that will not leave residue)
Markforged products contain high voltage and other hazards. Do not remove any panels or protective guards without appropriate technical training and experience necessary to minimize the risks to yourself and others. If you do not feel comfortable accessing service areas of your Markforged product, please contact your Reseller.
Remove the BeagleBone
Note: Take care not to discard any hardware you remove during this procedure, as you may need it during the reinstallation.
- Completely unload print material. For more information, see Unload Plastic and Unload Fiber, if applicable.
- Disconnect the feed tube from the plastic extruder. Remove it from the printer and set it aside.
- Power off and unplug the printer.
- Remove and set aside the Wi-Fi antenna / Ethernet cable.
- Remove and set aside the print bed and any fiber spools.
- Tape the lid and visor of the printer closed to prevent them from accidentally opening.
- Perform a two-person lift to remove the printer from the lower cabinet. Place the printer upside down on a flat, stable surface, granting easy access to the bottom plate.
- Use the 2mm hex key to remove the 12 screws from the bottom plate of the printer. Set the screws aside and do not discard them.
- Remove and set aside the bottom panel.
- The touchscreen and BeagleBone are shown below. Disconnect the four black cables from the left and right sides of the BeagleBone. Do not attempt to disconnect the grey cable from the BeagleBone.
- Use the 2mm hex key to remove the two black screws that secure the BeagleBone cover to the touchscreen assembly.
- Disconnect the 3-wire connector at the end of the grey cable from the motherboard.
- Using wire cutters or a similar tool, cut the black zip ties that hold the wires connecting the motherboard to the BeagleBone.
Note: Be careful not to cut the wires.
- Pull the BeagleBone and aluminum cover straight off the touchscreen assembly. Note the two white spacers that sit under the tabs on either side of the aluminum cover.
- Using the 2mm hex key, remove the four screws attaching the BeagleBone to the aluminum cover, then separate the board from the cover.
Replace the BeagleBone
- Attach the new BeagleBone to the aluminum cover with the four screws.
- Align the BeagleBone over the touchscreen assembly and apply firm, even pressure to plug in the new BeagleBone. Take care not to bend the pins.
- Reattach the 3-wire connector at the end of the grey cable to the motherboard.
- Using a small zip tie, secure the wires connecting the motherboard to the BeagleBone.
- Align the two white spacers with the holes in the touchscreen assembly, then use the 2mm hex key to install the two screws that connect the aluminum cover to the touchscreen assembly. Ensure that the screws pass through the spacers.
- Plug the four black cables back into the BeagleBone.
- Replace the bottom plate such that the grate is aligned with the fan, then use the 2mm hex key to reinstall the 12 screws.
- Perform a two-person lift to turn the printer upright and replace it atop the lower cabinet.
- Remove and discard holding the lid and visor shut.
- Reinstall the power cable, print bed, and plastic feed tube.
- Reinstall the Wi-Fi antenna / Ethernet cable.
- Power up the printer. Confirm that the BeagleBone/touchscreen assembly is working properly.
- Update your printer's firmware. For more information, see Update Firmware.
- Reload print materials. For more information, see Load Plastic and Load Fiber.