Note: Legacy documentation is no longer being updated. For up to date instructions, see our Desktop Series support articles.
The spool tensioner prevents the fiber from unspooling after installation. It should be installed before printing with fiber. To install the spool tensioner, please follow the instructions below.
Caution: Fiber spools have a tendency to unwind if not held in place. Take care to not allow the fiber to unspool any time that the spool is un-taped but not fully installed in the machine.
Install Fiber Spool Tensioner:
- Remove the fiber spool from the machine. If fiber is currently loaded, hold the fiber tube in one hand and the spool in the other. Hold one finger on the fiber to prevent it from unspooling. Gently pull the spool out of the machine. Re-spool the extra fiber and tape the end to the side of the spool.
Loosen the spool holder bolt on the rear of the machine approximately 1 full turn. You will need to hold the spool holder while doing this. The spool holder does not need to be fully removed to install the tensioner.
Slide the spool tensioner behind the spool holder as shown below.
Orient the spool tensioner vertically and re-tighten the spool holder bolt on the back of the machine.
Reinstall Fiber Spool:
- Unspool approximately 1m of material and re-tape the line to the side of the spool. Be careful not to let go of the line until it is re-taped.
- Set the spool in a convenient location and run the load fiber routine. Ensure that the fiber can be pulled into the machine.
- Complete the load fiber routine.
- Roll any excess line back onto the spool and install the spool and magnetic clasp.
- Once the magnetic clasp is installed the tape is no longer needed to prevent unspooling.