- Wire cutters
- Tape, if there is none adhered to the side of the fiber spool
- 2mm hex key
Note: Take care not to misplace any parts you remove during this procedure, as you may need them during the reinstallation.
Do not remove the PTFE (plastic part) from the metal inserts on the extruder. Replacement Fiber Bowden Tubes are shipped as an assembly with the metal tube already on it. Removal of the tube from the metal insert will require a full Bowden Tube replacement.
Remove the Fiber Bowden Tube
Unload the fiber filament from the Bowden tube. For more information, see Unload Fiber.
- Undo the fiber tube nut at the print head and detach the fiber Bowden tube from the print head. Let it hang freely.
- Use the supplied 2mm hex key to slightly loosen the top left socket head cap screw on the fiber extruder.
Note: Do not unscrew the screw all the way. It should require no more than one full turn to loosen.
- Remove the fiber Bowden Tube and metal insert from the extruder.
- Carefully remove the old fiber Bowden tube assembly and unthread it from the energy chain in the direction of the print head.
Note: The energy chain is the segmented black chain that holds the tubes that run between the extruders and the print head. If the Bowden tube appears to be stuck, try wiggling it around, slightly changing the position of the print head, or using a pair of pliers to gently help push the Bowden tube through. You should not need to use more than minimal force to remove the tube.
Replace the Fiber Bowden Tube
- Carefully thread the fiber Bowden tube from the print head, through the energy chain, to the extruder. Make sure that the fiber tube is run along the inside path (nearer the center of the printer), and that it does not wrap around or tangle with the plastic Bowden tube.
Note: If the Bowden tube appears to become stuck during this process, try wiggling it around or using a pair of pliers to gently guide it through.
- Slide the metal tube-end carefully into the V-shaped channel in the side of the extruder.
- Use the provided 2mm hex key to tighten the fiber Bowden tube set screw.
Note: Be sure that the tube stays in place while you are tightening the screw. Be careful not to over-tighten the screw or the tube may be crushed.
- Insert the fiber Bowden tube into the print head, tighten the nut, and reload materials.