About the Wet Plastic Purge Routine
The Wet Plastic Purge is designed to purge any plastic from your print head and extruder that may have absorbed water from the air. This happens because the extruder and Bowden tube are not a closed system. Onyx that sits in the extruder or print head for more than four hours can absorb water from the air and have a negative impact on your print. Therefore, this print purges your Bowden tube of any potentially bad material to help ensure that your prints succeed.
The Wet Plastic Purge line will automatically print at the beginning of every print job, unless it has already printed in the last four hours. The purge line takes only five minutes to print and uses less than $1 of material.
The Wet Plastic Purge routine is a good utility for purging potentially wet plastic but it is not a good diagnostic tool for identifying wet Onyx. The printed line will not show rough sections as clearly as it does with Nylon and can be difficult to diagnose. We suggest running the Onyx Test Pillars print to better diagnose wet Onyx.
Running the Wet Plastic Purge Utility
To manually run the Wet Plastic Purge utility:
- Apply glue to the back of your print bed as you normally would for a purge line on a normal print.
- Press the menu button in the upper right corner of your printer's LCD touchscreen.
- Select the "Utilities" tile from the available options.
- Select the "Test Prints" tile from the available options.
- Select the "Wet Plastic Purge Print" tile.